FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH KINGSVILLE, ONTARIO (FBK) POLICY TO PROTECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
PRIVACY PRINCIPLES:FBK is committed to maintaining the accuracy, confidentiality and security of all personal information in its possession. FBK, its Board members, Officers, Committee members, employees and volunteers are required to comply with this policy.As part of this commitment, FBK has adopted the following ten principles, based on the values set by the Canadian Standards Association’s Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information and the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).
1. AccountabilityFBK has designated a Privacy Officer who is responsible for its compliance with this policy. Each Board member, Officer, Committee member, employee and volunteer is responsible for maintaining and protecting the personal information under his/her control and is accountable, for such information, to the Privacy Officer.
2. Identifying purposesIn the course of its ministry and operations, FBK may collect, use and disclose data and other “personal information” (as defined under privacy legislation) from members, adherents, volunteers, participants and third parties. The data FBK collects may include but is not limited to:
- Identity information, such as name, address, email address and other contact information;
- Personal health information;
- Banking and financial account information;
- Publicly available information about you and other related parties; and,
- Other information that you may disclose to or share with us in person, online, over the phone, or otherwise about you and other related parties.
- FBK generally uses the data and other personal information it collects for the following purposes:
- To enable communication;
- To record membership, attendance, and participation;
- To enroll, register and participate in programs, studies, events and activities provided by and through FBK;
- To receive donations;
- To provide income tax receipts;
- To receive and make payments and/or reimbursements;
- To verify your identity and assess suitability for volunteer and leadership positions;
- To improve our services and operations and to provide training to relevant personnel;
- For reporting, auditing and analytics purposes;
- For fraud detection and verification purposes and to otherwise protect FBK, its members, adherents, volunteers and participants from fraud, error and other harm; and
- To meet statutory and regulatory requirements.
4. Limiting collectionThe personal information FBK collects shall be limited only to that which is necessary for the purposes identified.FBK does not knowingly request or collect personal information from children – persons under 13 years of age, or another age if required by applicable law – without verifiable consent of his/her parent or legal guardian. If FBK becomes aware that it has unknowingly collected personal information about a child without verifiable parental or legal guardian consent, it will delete this information from its records or take reasonable available steps to de-identify the information.
5. Limiting use, disclosure and retentionThe personal information FBK collects will only be used or disclosed for the purposes for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law.Pursuant to privacy legislation or FBK’s mandate or upon an individual’s direction, FBK will destroy, erase or anonymize documents or other records containing personal information as soon as it is reasonable to assume that the original purpose is no longer being served by retention of the information and retention is no longer necessary for a legal or business purpose. FBK will take due care when destroying personal information and anonymizing documents so as to prevent unauthorized access to, or reverse engineering of, the information.FBK will not disclose your personal information to any non-affiliated third party without your prior consent, other than as provided below.In carrying out the activities and purposes described above, data may be processed by FBK. Data and other personal information FBK collects may also be disclosed to third parties as set forth below:
- Service providers engaged by FBK to perform services or functions; and
- Authorized representatives, consultants and other third party service providers acting on FBK’s behalf, including cloud storage providers, data analytics providers, background check providers, consultants, lawyers, accountants and other professional service providers.
6. AccuracyFBK will make reasonable efforts to ensure that personal information is as accurate, complete, and current as required for the purposes for which it is to be used. If you finds any inaccuracies in FBK’s information, you should inform FBK and it will make the appropriate corrections promptly. In some cases, FBK relies on the individual to ensure that certain information, such as mailing address, email address and telephone number, is current, complete and accurate.
7. SafeguardsFBK uses appropriate security safeguards to protect personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or alteration. Safeguards include physical, administrative, and electronic security measures.All Board members, Officers, Committee members, employees and volunteers of FBK are required to abide by the privacy standards FBK has established. They are also required to work within the principles of ethical behaviour, and must follow applicable laws and regulations. In the course of daily operations, access to personal information is restricted to those Board members, Officers, Committee Members, employees and volunteers whose duties and job responsibilities require them to access it.While FBK strives to protect your personal information, FBK cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. If FBK finds out there has been a breach of its security safeguards and there is a real risk of significant harm to you, you will be notified unless otherwise prohibited by law.
8. OpennessFBK will provide information to you about our policies and procedures relating to the overall management of personal information that is under its control or with regard to specific personal information about which you may have a concern. Contacting the Privacy Officer by one of the means provided for below can access this information.
9. AccessYou may request access to, or the correction of the personal information collected and processed by FBK. Upon request in writing to the Privacy Officer at the address listed below, you will be informed of the existence, use, and disclosure of your personal information and will be given access to the information. You may be required to verify your identity.In certain exceptional situations, FBK may not be able to provide access to certain personal information. This may be the case where, for example, disclosure would reveal personal information about another individual or the information was collected for the purpose of an investigation.FBK may also be prevented by law from providing access to certain personal information. When an access request is refused, FBK will notify you in writing documenting the reasons for refusal.
10. Handling inquiries and complaintsAny questions, complaints or inquiries regarding this policy should be directed in writing to the PrivacyOfficer as follows:
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada 30 Victoria Street Gatineau, QC K1A 1H3